During my workout today one of my daughters texted me and reminded me that the prize is not just the finish line but also the journey.
"Keep showing up for yourself; the Alps are just a bonus!" Wise words indeed. Thank you, honey!
My strategy in life, as cheesy as it sounds, is to shoot for the stars and then see how high one can get toward achieving these goals. I did not achieve all of my running goals in 2023 and that is fine. I'm completely at peace with how my life went last year. As I reflect back, I simply rest in that peaceful presence of knowing I fought the good fight, learned a ton, and I'm beyond excited to take these lessons and apply them to 2024. In the meantime, as my daughter said, I will try to relax and enjoy the moment.
My goals for 2024 are simple: Be as active as the Lord allows me to be without getting injured. With that in mind, I am considering a number of different races and opportunities. These include:
- February: Manassas Battlefield 10K, Manassas, VA.
- March: Shamrock Marathon and Half Marathon, Virginia Beach, VA.
- April: Blue Ridge Marathon and Half Marathon, Roanoke, VA.
- May: Marine Corps Half Marathon, Fredericksburg, VA.
- May: Bolder Boulder, Boulder, CO.
- June: Night Train 50K, Farmville, VA.
- July: Cal-Tri Triathlon, Williamsburg, VA.
- July: Climbing the Allalinhorn, Saas Fee, Switzerland.
- August: UNC Health Care Triathlon, Raleigh, NC.
- August: Surfing Kuhio Beach, Oahu, HI.
- September: Brandy Station 10K, Brandy Station, VA.
It's not about perfection, folks. It's about making the most correct decisions for you. Wow, just getting the ball rolling a few years ago when I did my first 5K race was a huge first step for me. And that's the key -- getting started. Once you start, the ball is rolling. It's like my grandson learning to walk, one step in front of the other. From then on it's a matter of momentum. Maintaining momentum in life is frankly a beautiful and powerful tool to get you out of whatever rut you might be in. I look forward to discovering what adventures the Lord has in store for me in 2024. I hope you have some dreams to chase down in life and, yes, of course, in your athletic life. No matter how large or small your dreams may be, never let them stop.