David Price's essay 3 Questions to Detect Sports Idolatry is one of my favorites on the subject. Here are 5 of my favorite takeaways from the article:
- "God didn't create sports; people did. But people created sports in response to the world God created."
- "... God's gifts are always in danger of getting turned into idols."
- "Is your commitment to sports standing in for delight in God?"
- "Unthinking rejection or unthinking enjoyment of sports are both failures of Christian discipleship."
- "The Christian with a rightly-ordered, Christ-centered worldview is uniquely positioned to enjoy athletic competition as a good gift from God."
At 70, if not grown wiser, I have at least come to understand how important activity is. How could anyone not enjoy being active when he or she is in union with the One in whom we live, move, and have our being? Now I realize that while both activity and relaxation are sources of happiness, there is a greater happiness to be found in the companionship of God in all one does. I continue to strive for that goal.